plot
The world has been thrown into turmoil. Two alien invasions in as many years resulted in thousands of casualties, with both only narrowly beaten back, and dangerous advanced technology falling into unscrupulous hands. Magneto's defeat by the Sentinels drove mutant supremacists to increasingly desperate and savage lengths. Rumors grew of uncanny monsters stalking the shadows and taking the unwary. But, through it all, humanity placed its faith in S.H.I.E.L.D.

And then S.H.I.E.L.D. fell.

wanted
We are looking for Melinda May, Jemma Simmons, T'Challa, Karl Mordo, Hank McCoy, Lucas Bishop, Dr. Doom, X-Men, Inhumans,

credits

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

It's only wrong if you get caught, tag : Ellie Phimister || date 7 August
Ellie Phimister
 Posted: Jul 9 2017, 03:01 PM

Warlord

bio

plotter

103 posts

Ellie Phimister

Xavier Institute

"You're a kid, of course he likes you. Kids are just about the only people he likes as a matter of policy." The old man could be real prickly with just about anyone else, especially if they played meek with him when they were old enough to bloody well take care of themselves. His words. Ellie, of course, had never been meek in the presence of Logan, so they got along just fine. She occasionally stole one of his cigars, he pretended not to know. They were practically friends, who almost never spoke outside the confines of work related matters, which they were both fine and fond of. "You might want to ask yourself if that's because he doesn't talk or because you don't talk to him. But later, because we're busy right now."

Ellie came out with a couple of boxes and plopped them down on her work desk. All of them had the same markings on them, but the pictures indicated different things. "I'm starting you out with Apple products, they're more user friendly than PC or Android software. Good for kiddo's first device or old-timers being introduced to high technology for the first time. Be careful with them, the hardware is fragile, but the software doesn't require as much protection so you'll be fine while learning. I'm gonna put you on Logan's plan, he can cry about it later if he decides he wants to. Guy only ever googles cigar stores on his phone." She was setting up a iPad even as she spoke, then pulling out docking keyboard and a case that would hold the hole assemblage in one convenient package.

She glanced back at him, then the computer. "That's my personal computer set up. I've been doing this since I was a toddler, my father invents hardware and software for his company to market to other companies that do other things. I used to play in his workshop when I was your age. Anyway, the point is that my setup is too advanced for most people. You stick with the iPad for right now and we'll see how much you like it. If you become ready for more, and want more, I'll upgrade you. Sound like a plan?"

Julio Richter

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Julio Richter
 Posted: Jul 10 2017, 12:20 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

40 posts

Julio Richter

NPCs

Rictor gave Ellie a suspicious look when she claimed that Logan liked him just because he was a kid. Yeah right. Laura liked him, and he liked Laura, and that was about it as far as his affections went. Maybe it was different for Logan, but he had no intention of asking. As far as he was concerned, the Wolverine was a dangerous man, and he didn't want to commiserate.

"What's the difference?" he asked with a little shrug. He had no idea what any of those were, but Ellie seemed the type to answer technological questions that were asked of her. Hardware, software, what? "How is the hardware fragile? he asked, not considering 'hard' and 'fragile' to be synonymous. Although he did smile a little at her saying that Logan would evidently be covering the costs of whatever he did.

He picked up the keyboard and turned it over in his hands, curious. It interested him, but not as much as the device itself. "Sounds like a plan," he parroted. "What was your dad like?" Few kids around the school had father figures at the school with them, but he was curious as to how those kids got along with them. Such relationships were foreign to him.
PM
^
Ellie Phimister
 Posted: Jul 11 2017, 01:20 AM

Warlord

bio

plotter

103 posts

Ellie Phimister

Xavier Institute

"What's the difference, what? Oh, between PC and Apple? Operating system is set of differently. Apple is more expensive at first blush, but it requires minimal skill to operate. Not needing to worry so much about viruses is a big plus for casual users, too. PC has plenty of casual users, in fact their market share is still much bigger, but it requires you to eventually figure out all the places they can hide menus. You learn some coding and PC has more... everything." She answered absently as she started filling out the regestration items for the boy, linking it to its data plan, etc. She held up the tablet for him to see in response to his question about how the hardware is fragile. "Don't drop it, don't throw it, don't get it wet, don't let it get too hot, don't leave it in below freezing temperatures, and otherwise don't treat it any harsher than you would a human baby. Understood?"

She let him examine the keyboard for a few moments before she took it back, connected it to the tablet, got them secured in the holder, and then set it up on her work bench. "Here, sit down. Do you know how to type? Hunt and peck is fine." There were a series of fields on the screen in front of him. "Fill those out with the requested information, just ask me if you come across any you don't know the answer to. I'm gonna set you up something else while you work on it." She pulled out another box and went over to her computer on the other side of the room.

"My father is an extremely intelligent man, but physically underwhelming. As such, he found himself socially isolated. He spent that time tinkering, reading, testing, experimenting, and otherwise delving deeper into the depths of computer science when it was still in its infancy." She was connecting something to her computer and setting files to transferring using only the bottom center screen of her setup. "So, he's brilliant with computers, terrible with people, and all around the greatest father a girl could hope for. When my mutation first showed itself he sat outside my bedroom door all night telling me it was okay, they'd have the house fixed, he'd talk to mom about... other things that had gone wrong that night."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Julio Richter
 Posted: Jul 13 2017, 08:07 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

40 posts

Julio Richter

NPCs

Ellie started talking, and kept going... and going... and going. Rictor didn't understand most of what she was talking about past the first few sentences, but he figured he understood the important parts. Although, when it came to the answer of the hardware, he wondered if maybe he should tell her that he'd only ever seen a baby, and never touched one, much less treated one with any degree of harshness.

"Understood," he told her instead. Her answer had left no room for error beyond his own faults, and he didn't expect that it could be too hard to follow her code of conduct. Be realistic when handling it, wasn't that what it came down to?

>> "Here, sit down. Do you know how to type? Hunt and peck is fine."

"How to what?" Despite being yet again clueless, he sat down as told, far more curious than understanding. While Ellie clearly knew her stuff, he was hearing all this for the first time. It was unlikely that he'd understand more than he currently did by the end of their meeting, in his dim opinion of others' willingness to explain things to him, but she'd been informative so far, and he liked that.

The story about her dad got more attention than the keyboard, truth be told. It was one of only a couple personal stories he'd heard since coming here, and none of those had gone into the details of father-child relationships. He'd gotten the idea that it wasn't a topic that one generally brought up with strangers, and he certainly wasn't going to bring it up with one of the men, which left his knowledgeable options rather limited.

"He sounds like a good dad." Not that he knew shit about fathers, or was likely to ever have his own. But Ellie was clearly fond of him, and Rictor figured that was about the best gauge to a man's character to be found.
PM
^
Ellie Phimister
 Posted: Jul 15 2017, 02:47 PM

Warlord

bio

plotter

103 posts

Ellie Phimister

Xavier Institute

"Type, as in press buttons to make words appear on the screen. I'm taking that as a no." She stood behind him, rested her chin on top of his head, and reached around him on both sides. "These little bars that are a different color are called fields. See it says 'name' just above it? You touch the field, like this," she tapped the screen with her finger and a cursor appeared in said field. "That's the cursor that just appeared. Now, whatever letter or number you touch on this keyboard will appear there. You press this really long button here to create a space between words. When you're ready to fill in the next field, you touch it and do the same." She then backed off him and went about her business with her computer.

She was filling an iPod with a sampling of musical genres, organized by the same, and setting up a new iTunes account while she was at it. "He is, much better than my mother. She... was disappointed. She left that night, didn't come back until I was here I'm told. I was a bit traumatized by it all, but once I got here Piotr wouldn't rest until he befriended me. Made a huge difference. I'll never tell you that you have to let everybody in, or even give them a chance, but you gotta let somebody in. Or you'll go nuts. Sorry, I know you haven't come looking for life lessons, just thinking out loud." And she was, because she wasn't apprised of Julio's situation beyond being rescued from some agency that had created him and then tried to kill him.

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Julio Richter
 Posted: Jul 17 2017, 02:18 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

40 posts

Julio Richter

NPCs

Rictor froze up initially at Ellie touching him but quickly relaxed once he realised who it was. He watched in clear fascination as she made words appear just by touching the screen. Once she left him to it, he wasted a good few minutes typing nonsense and then testing what the different non-letter buttons did, like the backspace and shift keys. The latter seemed sadly lacking in usefulness.

"What does the arrow on the shift key mean?" he asked, finally settling into doing what he'd been told to. Despite all his fooling around in the beginning, he got the hang of things relatively quickly, though Ellie would likely be rolling her eyes at his typing speed.

>> "I was a bit traumatized by it all, but once I got here Piotr wouldn't rest until he befriended me. Made a huge difference. I'll never tell you that you have to let everybody in, or even give them a chance, but you gotta let somebody in. Or you'll go nuts. Sorry, I know you haven't come looking for life lessons, just thinking out loud."

Rictor shrugged a little. "Logan tried to tell me the same thing, when we met. I just didn't listen to him. He's a man." Though he may perhaps just be receptive to hearing something along the same lines from Ellie. She didn't bear the same negative connotation that a male authority figure did.
PM
^
Ellie Phimister
 Posted: Jul 21 2017, 03:13 PM

Warlord

bio

plotter

103 posts

Ellie Phimister

Xavier Institute

"If you hold it down and touch a letter, or one of the numbers with another symbol above them, it capitalizes the letter or puts in the symbol sharing the number key. It does other things, as does Control, Alt, the Tab button... don't look for Tab, it doesn't say that on the key anymore. For right now just focus on answering the requested information in the fields." She answered, distractedly from her desk while she was finishing up her own work, using his file pulled up on another screen to give her the required information. Hardwired servers had been her idea, for in-school access to information. Those couldn't be hacked unless someone got into the school, and that was a monumental challenge with beings like Logan, Jean, Xavier, etc. lurking about.

She stood up, detached the iPod, put it with all its other stuff, and brought it over to where Julio was sitting. She plugged it in to charge and then turned to him. "There, now you don't need to steal mine. When you're done registering your iPad we'll get your iTunes started up, burn one of the gift cards I'm always getting, and then you can figure out what kind of music you like to listen to." Ellie then gave Julio a look of mild confusion. "You're a man... well, a male at any rate. What does that have to do with anything? Please tell me you aren't a hard-core male feminist. Nobody likes those guys, not even female feminists."

Julio Richter

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Julio Richter
 Posted: Jul 21 2017, 09:24 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

40 posts

Julio Richter

NPCs

Upon getting more information about the wide and wonderful world of technology, Rictor immediately set about playing with it as before. He filled up one of the fields with various symbols and capital letters before backspacing, which was another neat trick, and filling it out appropriately. Ellie would not have to be a telepath to figure out that he had every intention of exploring as much of the tablet as he could.

"What does the Tab do and why isn't it on the key any more?" he asked, poking at a few other keys at random. Why not ask? It seemed like she knew everything there was to know about tablets and the like. Having had experience in such things for, evidently, most of her life, she was currently his number one choice if it ever came to problems, concerns, or questions.

The iPod was the one thing he'd recognised so far, and he watched in fascination as the screen lit up to display the charging screen. He understood nothing of iTunes or gift cards but left those questions for a later time. At least the music reference was easy to place, at least. "Is there a lot of different kinds?"

Rictor gave her a look like she was crazy when she asked why that had to do with anything, though he filed away the 'feminist' reference for further research. "The men always hurt us. It was fun for them. Laura had her healing factor so they could do whatever they wanted to her and never get caught. Nobody would have done anything about it anyway. Pierce always encouraged them, said we couldn't be human if we were going to be soldiers. Logan's going to turn out like the guards sooner or later." In his worldview, that was unavoidable. Eventually, the man that Laura trusted would turn on them. "But as long as he doesn't hurt my sister... We survived the first time. We'll do it again. Just not here."
PM
^
Ellie Phimister
 Posted: Jul 22 2017, 12:49 PM

Warlord

bio

plotter

103 posts

Ellie Phimister

Xavier Institute

"It creates a large space, which is supposed to go at the beginning of a paragraph. It also helps in lining up free-hand data tables, charts, etc. in a word document. Not something you're gonna have to worry about for a while. But, most importantly, when you finish filling out this field you can touch the tab button, this one here, and it will put the cursor in the next field without you having to touch the field itself." She indicated the tab button, just above the caps lock. "That's what most people use it for these days, so they stopped writing tab on it."

She smiled and sat on the edge of the work top. "I mean, you can simplify it to three types, but when it comes to genres there's dozens. Some are related to each other, others descended from similar beginnings, and others are complete crap. But it's all perspective. You find what you like to listen to, don't let anyone else tell you what's good or bad, and then own it. Most people around here hate the music I listen to, and that's the way I like it." She liked being unique.

Ellie chuckled at the reasoning that went into the assertion that Logan was going to hurt them. "Logan has been alive for... literally hundreds of years. So far as I know he's never taken to hurting kids, why would he start now? You're male, are you gonna take to hurting kids in a few years when you're eligble to be a 'man'? Has Logan hurt you? I know he's no saturday morning children's show host by any stretch of the imagination but he's not mean to anyone other than Scott Summers. He'd likely do something best described as 'gorey' to this Pierce goon, too. You can't really think that every single man is bad. That's insanely untennable."

Julio Richter

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
Julio Richter
 Posted: Aug 23 2017, 09:05 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

40 posts

Julio Richter

NPCs

Most of what Ellie said about the Tab key went way over his head. But it also made him curious, or at least he would be later. For now... one step at a time. Clearly she thought that this was all important stuff, so he was inclined to keep it in mind, even if she wouldn't teach it to him for some time yet. Who knew when it might come in handy? He tabbed a few spaces over before moving the cursor back to the field he'd been working on.

"What's the name of the music you had on your iPod? And why don't people like it?" He wasn't quite sure that he'd liked it, per se, but it had definitely sounded different and not in a bad way. If it all sounded like that, surely it couldn't be too bad. Although there was clearly a broad scope to the spectrum. Maybe he could find music that Laura would like and show it to her. Assuming that she didn't try to claw the iPod if it startled her somehow. He got the feeling that Ellie would not appreciate that.

He scrunched his nose up at the assertion that Logan was hundreds of years old. He didn't look nearly as old as he should for that. Not that Rictor was an expert on aging and the mutant life cycle, but he was pretty sure that he was right this time. "People keep all kinds of secrets," he pointed out. Everyone had them, some worse ones than others. And if Ellie claimed that Logan didn't have plenty himself, well, that would sort of discredit everything she'd said up to this point.

The question about he himself harming kids was not well received. "I could never be one of them," he said hotly, a subtle little tremor running through the floorboards only to dissipate harmlessly. Him? Having fun beating and torturing kids? Rictor did not want to entertain the option that he might somehow turn into someone like that. Just the thought was disgusting, there couldn't possibly be any reason that he'd turn into someone like that.

"Logan hasn't had the chance to really hurt us yet. We haven't known him for long. And we've always been around other people. Around witnesses." Logan was not a stupid man if he'd managed to track down not only him but Laura. Therefore, whatever he did, it wouldn't be around people that could turn him in. So said Rictor's pessimistic experience.

Maybe not every single man, but maybe so. "All the ones I've ever met have been like that. Why should the others be any different? I'm not going to trust strangers." Logan, despite his efforts, was still a very suspicious figure in Rictor's eyes. He was taller, heavier, and stronger than either him or Laura, possibly both of them together. Individually, any of that was worrying, but put it all together?
PM
^
Ellie Phimister
 Posted: Aug 30 2017, 12:37 AM

Warlord

bio

plotter

103 posts

Ellie Phimister

Xavier Institute

Ellie snorted, knowing that her answer to his question about music was going to go right over his head before she even had it formulated. "Industrial, Grunge, Heavy Rock, various forms of Metal, etc. And people generally don't like it because it's loud, angry, often vulgar, and otherwise not intended to be liked by the greater majority of the populace. Pop is the genre more concerned with widespread appeal." Then she smirked to herself. "I do, however, keep a carefully curated selection of songs intended solely for the purposes of entertaining... guests." She chuckled, knowingly. That also didn't cover anywhere near the actual full selection of musical genres that were contained on her various players but it was a good enough start. Besides, the kid wasn't ready to go down the rabbit hole that was Electronica, EDM, House, and their ilk.

"What are you pulling that face for? Aren't you supposed to know the semi-clone girl that he brought back? Assuming her mutation works like his, she's gonna look like she's just turning 20 when the healthiest of the rest of us are passing away from extreme old age." She didn't pause to consider how that factoid might make Julio feel, since she was barely aware that there was really a connection between him and Laura to begin with. "And sure, people keep secrets, but you can't lump half the population together. I promise you, the only universal traits all men share are a single chromosome and my complete se... er, romantic disinterest."

He declared, with finality, that he could never be one of 'them'. "Well there you go, proof that not all men are violent, terrible, or at all likely to hurt a child. In fact, the vast majority of men wouldn't. Even to their own detriment. You should judge Logan by what he has done, not what others have done. And believe me, if Logan wanted to hurt you there aren't many people around who could stop him even if he did it on the front lawn in front of the Goddess and everyone." Ellie snorted in mild bemusement as the reasoning continued to come from a place of emotion and naivete. "How many have you met? You know there are 7 billion people on earth. About 49% of them are men. Your sample size is insufficient, anecdotal, and taken from only the kind of people who would work in an insanely illegal and astronomically unethical cloning facility. They were all gonna be trash, because they were selected for their trash-like qualities to begin with."

--------------------
user posted image
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by miss texas at caution, cc, & shine