plot
The world has been thrown into turmoil. Two alien invasions in as many years resulted in thousands of casualties, with both only narrowly beaten back, and dangerous advanced technology falling into unscrupulous hands. Magneto's defeat by the Sentinels drove mutant supremacists to increasingly desperate and savage lengths. Rumors grew of uncanny monsters stalking the shadows and taking the unwary. But, through it all, humanity placed its faith in S.H.I.E.L.D.

And then S.H.I.E.L.D. fell.

wanted
We are looking for Melinda May, Jemma Simmons, T'Challa, Karl Mordo, Hank McCoy, Lucas Bishop, Dr. Doom, X-Men, Inhumans,

credits

Add Reply
New Poll

The best mirror is an old friend, The Clover Club, Oct 30, 2014.
Marla Drake
 Posted: May 7 2017, 07:43 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg

The Clover Club was as empty as she had ever seen it. Which wasn’t surprising as she had never seen it on a thursday night. Still it had seemed prudent to pick an off night, just in case this did not go well. Marla nervously picked up her sidecar, swirling the ice. This may have been a bad idea. Joe had been dead set against it, but after cracking his ribs in their last sparring match she needed to do something. He was worried that associating with Steve would expose the fact that she herself was a long-lived. Marla chuckled to herself. She look pretty good for someone just shy of a century.

And that may have peen part of the problem. It had been five years since she came to in a derelict building in Berlin. Even after all that time, she felt lost. All the advancements bringing the world closer, yet people didn’t know who their neighbors were any more. She missed walking through the lobby of her building and greeting the others who lived there. And while she had an excuse to be silent, the others did not. They all seemed to intent on the phones in their hands and the buds in their ears. At least there was still a doorman. She wouldn’t be asking him to sneak into a Nazi spy’s apartment for her, but he was pleasant enough. Marla raised her cocktail in a silent salute to Cappy and Francine, they were sorely missed.

Steve Rogers
PMEmail
^
Steve Rogers
 Posted: May 8 2017, 07:37 PM

Captain America

bio

plotter

75 posts

Steve Rogers

Avengers

After getting a letter from an old friend/colleague, Steve arrived at the club and looked around for Marla. He kinda guessed that she'd look the same after...what 70 or so years but in this sea of people in a small space it was still a task to find her.

He walked further into the club and sighed in relief when he spotted her and immediately walked over to where she was sitting. When he got close enough to her, he gave her a polite and friendly smile and said, "Long time no see there stranger.",he said.

"I got your letter, and the old stub from London.",he added.
PM
^
Marla Drake
 Posted: May 8 2017, 08:51 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg
She smelled him before she heard him. Not that she knew how she knew it was him, or how she had picked his scent out of the miasma of the all the other bar patrons. Out of all her newly heightened senses, smell was the hardest to get used to. His voice hadn’t changed though, still that warm baritone with a hint of softness under the light Brooklyn accent. Setting her glass down gently, Marla tilted her head to look up at him. Still the blond Adonis, time had not laid a finger on him. She had expected that, but was still surprised seeing it in person. He didn’t seem phased at all by her youthful appearance, however. But then daily interactions with geniuses and gods probably made something like this seem normal.

Steve. Marla breathed, the warmth in her greeting was a genuine as the smile on her red lips. Thank you for meeting me, I was worried… No matter. It is so good to see you again. She waved one graceful hand to the seat across from her, inviting him to sit.

PMEmail
^
Steve Rogers
 Posted: Jun 8 2017, 02:57 PM

Captain America

bio

plotter

75 posts

Steve Rogers

Avengers

"Hey, it's no problem..and it's good to see you too.", Steve said before sitting down across from him. He was amazed by how young she still looked after all this time. It made him wonder if Howard did find a way to replicate Dr. Erskine's serum.

"So...what have you been up to since the '40s?",he asked figuring it would be more interesting to hear about her exploits first before he told her about his enthralling adventure of being a floating ice cube for about 70 years.
PM
^
Marla Drake
 Posted: Jun 8 2017, 04:16 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg

“What have I been doing…” Marla couldn’t help chuckling, tickled by his straight-forward question. “I suppose with everything you’ve been through lately, bumping into timeless face from your far past is normal. Honestly though, who would have dreamed we would exchanged Jerrys for Aliens.”

Marla took a sip of her sidecar, watching him over the rim of her glass. There was still time to back out. She had no doubt she could come up with a convincing story that would explain her presence without going into all that had changed. Then she could go back to her comfortable apartment and stick her head back in the sand. Once spoken, she could never take it back. The beast would be acknowledged.

Placing her glass down carefully, she breathed in deeply and spoke. Her voice is pitched low enough that those around them would not hear. “The first thing I remember clearly after the fall of Berlin is waking up in an abandoned tenement in East Berlin four years ago.” She didn’t tell him she had been filthy, near naked, and surrounded by rat carcasses. That moment still figured predominantly in her nightmares, along with the fear that she would return to wherever she had been before that. “I spent the next year or so at the farm in Mousehole, adjusting. Then I came back to New York. A year was not long enough to adjust… I’m still not sure I have.”

PMEmail
^
Steve Rogers
 Posted: Jun 8 2017, 10:18 PM

Captain America

bio

plotter

75 posts

Steve Rogers

Avengers

Steve sat there listening intently to her story. "Wow...sounds like you got off easier than I did.", he said in amazement. "I won't bore you with too many details cause...well everyone knows this story...but...", he said before telling her about his last confrontation with the Red Skull/Johann Schmidt that eventually ended in him crashing the Red Skull's massive plane into the Arctic where he spent the years that followed encased and 'sleeping' in a block of ice.

"Moving on to....about 2012 or somewhere around there. The SSR...I mean S.H.I.E.L.D. find me and they eventually wake me up and bring me into this era. It's taken some time for me to adjust...and that included knocking out a couple hundred Chitauri aliens...but somehow...I've managed.", he finished his story, shrugging a bit at the end.

"I know...it's the usual day at the office for me but....it does get a bit old so it's nice to step away and see an old friend again.", he said to her.
PM
^
Marla Drake
 Posted: Jun 11 2017, 04:44 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg

Marla knew the story Steve spun. She knew it first hand. The first three months of 1945 had been the hardest she could remember living through. They had all become so close, a small knot of americans at the heart of the SSR. Then they lost Bucky. It was as if some of the light had been sucked out of their cadre. Less than a month after that, Marla received word that Dan had died at Iwo Jima. Jim was MIA. Then Steve…

Joy, Love, Honor and Hope. All lost in quick succession.

She stopped feeling anything but anger after that. The girls, left behind, all threw themselves into their jobs. Peggy and Connie pursued the remaining Hydra strongholds, securing the weapons and artifacts they found. Marla worked with them on a couple of missions, until Peggy politely told her that if she couldn’t follow orders that perhaps her rage would be better suited on the front lines. That was the last conversation the two had had. Marla left that night to join the troops headed for Berlin. She deeply regretted the way she had left things with Peggy and Connie.

At least there was Steve, again. Impulsively Marla reached over and placed her hand on his, giving a light squeeze. “You may not consider me an old friend after I ask what I need to ask.” She smiled over at him, half joking and half hopeful. “I am afraid I tracked you down with ulterior motives.”

PMEmail
^
Steve Rogers
 Posted: Jun 14 2017, 01:04 PM

Captain America

bio

plotter

75 posts

Steve Rogers

Avengers

Steve looked at her with that same friendly and polite smile he always had. But that smile soon faded and his heart sank when she put her hand on his and said that she had tracked him down with ulterior motives. This revelation silenced Steve , who was now in shock. "Wh....what?! Marla...what are you talking about?", he asked, the shock very prevalent in his voice.

Other than Peggy and Bucky, of all people to try and hunt him down- Marla...one of his closest friends. "Why?", was the next thing to come out of Steve's mouth. He wanted to ask who put her up to it but he figured that would be his next question...unless she told him in the next few minutes.
PM
^
Marla Drake
 Posted: Jun 15 2017, 07:44 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg

Marla watched the play of emotions across Steve’s face. He had never been very good at masking his thoughts, and right now he was apprehensive. Rightfully so. Marla looked away, gathering herself. “I… need help.” There, the words were out. It frustrated her to admit that she needed to ask. “Something happened to me during the time I can’t remember. I tried ignoring it, tried to go back to the life I had before. But I can’t, and you are the only person I know who would even have a clue what I am going through.”

“The work I did in the war, you know most of that was the suit. Without it, I was just a normal girl.” As she spoke, Marla’s hand drifted off his arm. She picked up the sturdy metal holder displaying a list of the bar’s signature drinks. She plucked the card off the top, then turned it to shield her hand from the rest of the bar. Then with no visible effort, she one handedly crumbled the stainless steel holder into a small wad like it was tissue. Marla reached across the table again, placing the contorted metal in the palm of Steve’s hand before making eye contact again. “That isn’t the case anymore.”

PMEmail
^
Steve Rogers
 Posted: Jun 19 2017, 06:51 PM

Captain America

bio

plotter

75 posts

Steve Rogers

Avengers

Steve watched her, listening to every word she was saying-nodding every now and then. When she put the metal bar that was once on the table but now was like a crumpled up piece of paper in his hand. "I.....see.....go on.", he said really wanting to know what the problem was that she was facing..or that she needed his help to resolve.

At the same time however, her statement of tracking him down with ulterior motives still rang through his mind (and his ears) and troubled him.
PM
^
Marla Drake
 Posted: Jun 19 2017, 07:28 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg

“And it’s not just the strength, though that’s the part that scares me the most.” Now that she had started Marla found the words tumbling out of her mouth. “I’m faster, reflexive and speed wise. I can jog up the 17 flights of stairs to my apartment without getting winded. In the past four years i’ve had nothing more injurious than bruises that are gone in days. And my senses… Steve, I can see in the dark! Like pitch dark. I can hear the cooks back in the kitchen. And the smells… I had to give up smoking because I just couldn’t stand it anymore.”

“I could certainly use a cigarette about now.” Instead, she picked up her sidecar and took a hefty swig. “I know nothing about these abilities, not where they came from or what their limits are. I don’t even know the extent of them, are there more I just haven’t tapped? I tried testing them, but I… well I ended up hurting a good friend of mine. Not terribly, but I did crack his ribs.”

And it’s not like I can walk into the local doctor’s office, not with the mutant backlash going on. I mean I am not a mutant, at least I don’t think I am.” Marla gazed at him, dark eyes round and pleading. “You’ve been through this, or atleast something like. I was hoping you could help me find out more about what’s going on with me.”

PMEmail
^
Steve Rogers
 Posted: Jun 25 2017, 09:00 PM

Captain America

bio

plotter

75 posts

Steve Rogers

Avengers

Steve nodded as he listened to Marla and sighed not sure what to say about all this. He definitely knew how she felt after he experienced something similar but her situation was a bit more serious and dire than his ever was. He sat there in silent thought for a bit trying to gather his thoughts and also think of just exactly who among those he knew and worked with could help them...or really help her out

"Marla...you know know that I am always more than willing to help you. I know at least a few people that could help..and some who may know of other people who could also be of some assistance. But we'll have to talk more about that later...don't want anyone to overhear us, especially if they seek to do harm.", he said.

PM
^
Marla Drake
 Posted: Jul 1 2017, 04:05 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg

“Oh for pete’s sake…” Marla cursed quietly, obviously cross with herself for not being circumspect. “Goes to show you just how much this is getting to me, to have forgotten all my training like that. I’m sorry, Steve.”

Reaching into her purse, Marla pulled out a silver cigarette case. The front displayed a stag and his doe engraved art deco style. Even though she had given up smoking, she couldn’t bring herself to part with the case. It had been a gift from Dan during one of the few times they had managed to be in the same city. It seemed everyday her memories of him faded a little more. Marla ran a finger over the beast’s antlers before pressing the latch on the side. The lid flipped open and she withdrew a calling card from within. She slid it across the table, once again taking Steve’s hand and giving it a grateful squeeze. “My contact information. Call anytime, taking care of this is my top priority.”

PMEmail
^
Marla Drake
 Posted: Jul 16 2017, 12:51 PM

N/A

bio

plotter

71 posts

Marla Drake

Independents

photo Marla180270-1.jpg

They chatted for sometime after that, about old friends and good times. Talking with Steve was always a joy, He was one of the few people who didn’t see her as a beauty first. Their relationship had never entered the flirtatious stage unlike most of her male friends. He was certainly attractive enough, but she had never gotten the sense that the attraction was returned. He felt like a brother she never had. A brother who was attached to someone who would beat her senseless.

They spoke a little about Peggy and how she was doing. It seemed Steve had taken to visiting her, he even offered her address if Marla wanted to as well. She didn’t have the heart to tell him she already had it. Marla just couldn’t bring herself to see the true passage of time in such a dear friend's face. That was a mirror she was not ready to confront. He reminded her of the night she tried to teach him to dance. Once she got him to relax and stop overthinking where his feet and hands were, he had done well enough. He never did get the chance to show Peggy. One more missed opportunity. Between the two of them Marla couldn’t help but wonder if they had missed more than they ever got.

Steve was more than understanding when she asked for the ticket stub back. She didn’t tell him because it was one of the few mementos she had of Namor, that and one worn photograph. That night the Atlantean had stolen a little corner of her heart and taken it with him to the depths of the ocean. Truly the fish that got away… The conversation wound down soon after that. Ever the gentleman, Steve walked her out and hailed a cab for her. As a thank you, she kissed him on the cheek. The red impression left behind made her smile, but she didn’t point it out. Let him get home, see it in the mirror, and think of her again.

PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

skin made by miss texas at caution, cc, & shine